Information governance (IG) ensures necessary policies, procedures, processes and controls implemented to manage the appropriate use of information.
- Defining the Basics of Health Informatics for HIM Professionals
- AHIMA Information Governance Toolkit 3.0
- AHIMA Quarterly IGIQ Beat Sheet enewsletter – Register here!
- Advancing Health Information Governance: a Global Imperative – October 2017
- AHIMA Free Resources
- Why IG for Healthcare?
- Information Governance Glossary
- Information Governance Annotated Bibliography
- IG In the News
- HealthIT.gov Shared Nationwide Interoperability Roadmap: The journey to Better Health and Care
- Teaching the ‘New’ HIM: Educators Integrating Informatics, Data Analytics, and Information Governance Into HIM Programs -May 2017
- AHIMA Presentation at HIMSS17: Governing Healthcare Information for Payment Reform
- Three Practical IG Projects You Should Implement Today – AHIMA
- Case Study – Utah Health Information Network’s Information Asset Inventory – April 2017
- A Call to Adopt Information Governance Practices – 2014 Cohasset Associates/AHIMA
- IG FAQs
Clinical Document Improvement
The key purpose of Clinical Documentation Improvement (CDI) is concurrent review of the medical record to increase the accuracy, clarity, and specificity of provider documentation. The CDI process ensures that diagnoses and procedures are supported by both documentation in the patient record and the assigned code on the bill.
- Check out the latest Core-CDI YouTube videos & website
- Association of Clinical Documentation Improvement Specialists (ACDIS)
Free SESSIONS & WEBINARS on CDI:
- Keeping you up-to-date on all things CDI – Join ACDIS Director Brian Murphy every other Wednesday for ACDIS Radio, a bi-weekly talk show covering the hottest topics in CDI. During each ACDIS Radio show, Brian Murphy and a co-host chat with a special guest including industry leaders, ACDIS advisory board members, physicians and physician advisors, and CDI managers and specialists. You’ll hear about best practices, tips, and the latest ACDIS and CDI-related healthcare news. This lively 30 minute program will keep CDI and HIM professionals entertained and up-to-date on the pulse of the CDI industry. Tune in every other Wednesday at 11:30 ET: Register here!
- HCPRo – Upcoming Webinars –
- AHIMA Electronic Documentation Templates Support ICD-10-CM/PCS Implementation
Electronic Health Record
An electronic health record (EHR) is a digital version of a patient’s paper chart. EHRs are real-time, patient-centered records that make information available instantly and securely to authorized users.
- Medicare Programs: Proposed Modification to the Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs for 2019 – May 7, 2018
- CMS – Medicare and Medicaid – EHR Incentive Programs – 2018 – May 2, 2018
- IT Security Sources (Whitepapers and Webcasts) – 2018
- Best Practices for EMR Utilization in Medical Offices
- CMS – Clinical Quality Measures
- Benefits of Electronic Health Records – Health IT
- Patient Generated Health Data – Health IT
- The Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology U.S. Department of Health and Human Services – “Recommended Requirements for Enhancing Data Quality in Electronic Health Records e-HIM and Electronic Records”
- Data Privacy Monitor Commentary on Data Privacy & Information Security Subjects by Baker Hostetler
- HL7 EHR (HL7 Electronic Health Record Technical Committee Home Page)
Privacy and Security
Ensuring privacy and security of health information is a fundamental principle for the health information management (HIM) profession.
- HIPAA Journal – Compliance Guide
- How HIPAA 1 Allows Doctors to Respond to the Opioid Crisis – October 2017
- Proposed Changes to the Part 2 Regulations: February 17, 2017
- Analysis of HELP’S health IT hearing – November 1, 2017
- HHS Attorney: Major HIPAA Fines and Enforcement – February 26, 2016
- HHS to Launch New HIPAA Audits In Early 2016 – September 2015
- HHS OCR Launches Phase 2 of HIPAA Audit Program–So What? – March 25, 2016
- Foley Hoag Overview of HIPAA Omnibus Regulation – January 18, 2013
- Analysis of the Interim Final Rule, August 24, 2009 Breach Notification for Unsecured Protected Health Information
- Breach Notification for Unsecured Protected Health Information; Interim Final Rule Federal Register 45 CFR Parts 160 and 164
- CMS Version 5010- the new version of the X12 standards for HIPAA transactions Final Regulations
- Federal Trade Commission Red Flags Rule
- U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, Office for Civil Rights
- U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services: The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA)
- Foley Hoag’s blog – Up to date industry changes